Cold Weather Feeding
Cold nights can be very enjoyable when sitting by a crackling fire with a toasty mug of hot chocolate. Unfortunately, your horse doesn't have that option of staying warm. That means you need to take extra precautions to keep your horse warm and healthy when the temperatures drop.
While most people try to avoid growing a "winter coat", it's actually a good thing for horses to gain a few pounds for the cold season. When the outside temperature sinks below 45Â°F, horses use more energy to maintain their body temperature. The extra weight helps them preserve their energy during cold periods.
The temperature of your horse's water is also important. When the water is too cold, they drink less. Think about it: would you want to drink ice water on a freezing day? When water temperature is near freezing, some horses will drink 1 to 3 gallon less per day!
It is also important to provide your horse with a quality feed with adequate fiber. This entices your horse to drink more water. Not sure which Star Milling feed is right for your horse? We can help you select the feed with the right nutrition for your horse.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind during colder seasons:
- Listen to weather forecasts and make plans in advance for cold periods
- Increase the amount of long stem hay fed by about 10% approximately 72 hours prior to cold conditions (see this Fact Sheet for detailed guidelines)
- Allow your horse to carry extra body weight during the winter
- If the water source is not heated then offer warmed water daily
- Provide your horse with a feed with adequate fiber
With these tips in mind, you'll be able to keep your horse happy and healthy throughout the cold winter nights, without having to share a blanket.
Star Milling Reformulates Ultra Balance Adult and Puppy Foods
We know how important your pets are to you. So we occasionally fine-tune our dog foods to ensure your pets get the best nutrition possible.
We've recently reformulated our Ultra Balance Adult dog food to be tastier and healthier than ever. It now has:
- Multiple protein sources to give your dog a good balance of amino acids.
- 25% protein and 12% fat
- Fish, which provides the all-important omega fatty acids that boost metabolism.
- Spirulina for protein and essential amino acids.
- Beet pulp adds soluble fiber and assists digestion.
- Brewer's Yeast for vitamin B.
- Kelp provides antioxidants for overall cell-health.
- Flax, which includes omega 6 and improves your dog's skin and coat.
- Alltech products, with yeast culture ingredients that promote good digestion.
Puppies have different nutritional needs than adult dogs. Our recently reformulated puppy food is designed to get them started out on the right path. In addition to the ingredients found in Ultra Balance Adult, Ultra Balance Puppy Food contains:
- 30% protein and 18% fat for growth.
- Yucca to reduce the odor in feces.
- Yeast cultures for good digestion and gut integrity.
Ultra Balance products are also known for what they don't include-both blends contain no corn or wheat because high starch grains can cause allergies and itchy skin.
With Star Milling products, you get excellent quality at the best price possible. To purchase the new-look Ultra Balance Adult or Ultra Balance Puppy Food, contact your local pet feed store or find a dealer near you.