the 7 primary steps
About Dr. Bray
Where to Buy
Milk production begins to decrease when foals reach about eight weeks of age. At this point, the dam’s milk production begins to reduce. Creep feeding foals complements the nourishment of the milk to ensure they get the nutrition and energy that they need.
It’s important that creep feeding is done the right way.
- Feed should be pelleted, size 5/32”, and with a texture that’s easy to chew and swallow.
- Available to nursing foals as early as 3 weeks of age but not later than 8 weeks of age.
- Fed at ½ lb. per day initially; split into 2 feedings at ¼ lb. per meal.
- Remove leftover feed and provide fresh feed for each meal.
- By weaning age the foal will be consuming approximately ¾ lbs. of feed per 100 lbs. of body weight. For a 450 lb. weanling, that’s about 3½ lbs. per day.
- Water should be at ground height.
- Foals should have free access to forage.
Feed requirements for a creep/foal formulation are also provided in the fact sheet Creep Feeding Guidelines.